Dear Colleagues:

My apologies for not having been in touch for a very long time.  In July I
was promoted to Assistant Division Manager of the Fine Arts Division and
life hasn't been the same since!  Time seems to rush by as I am sure it does
for all of you during your busy days.

I received a fat packet in the mail yesterday from ARLIS/NA which I was too
tired to open last night, but I presume it's conference material. So we will
all begin planning our trips to St. Louis, right?

For the moment, the business at hand is that I have to produce a column for
Update.  Please, please if you have anything you would like to include let
me know as soon as possible.  Items might include interesting developments
at your libraries: exhibitions, promotions, new electronic resources, etc.
I will probably include something about the budgets cuts here which have
totaled 38% thus far due to lost revenues from the World Trade Center
destruction.  Perhaps you have all experienced some cuts also in the face of
recession.  This also means that almost all funds for conference travel have
been cut. Mostly going to those who are active in ALA conferences.  I will
get paid time off, but that's it.

Please let me here from you.  I promise to keep in touch more often now that
conference time is approaching.  Thanks!

Jeffrey Stephens
Moderator/Update column editor
Public Library Division

Queens Borough Public Library