Thanks to so many of you who sent me suggestions for more accurate
searching.  Here are some observations on WilsonWeb's Art Index
Retrospective:

l.  SearchPlus  kw Michelangelo and David  Feature Article English = 24
    Of the 24, 11 were relevant

2.  SearchPlus  kw Michelangelo Buonarroti and David FA Eng = 12
    8 were relevant   (4 found David in author's name)

Comment:  2 of the 24 records did not provide a Descriptor for MB and
therefore were not retrieved in Search 2.

In my original query, I forgot to mention that the students were looking
for the Pieta in Rome.  Here are some problems using WilsonWeb AI and AIR:

l. SearchPlus  kw Michelangelo and kw pieta  Feature Article  English = 40

Comments:  To find the Pieta in Rome, one must go through all 40 records.
           Many of the records contained the phrase "St. Peter's Pieta"
           but a kw search using that phrase resulted in 1 hit.
           One record (197601576100) in the Artist and Work field
           references the "Rome Pieta" but search for Pieta Rome was
           unfruitful, as was "Pieta Vatican" which produced one
           reproduction.

           The record for "Digitizing the pieta," gave no clue as to
           which "Pieta."

So, what seemed like a no-brainer assignment turned out to be fairly
complex for students AND librarians who called upon me to ask if they were
not doing something correctly.  Needless to say, we had many frustrated
and impatient students at the reference desk.

The major art indexing services need to consider better ways to link
artist and work.  In AI/AIR, for example, how easy it would have been to
click on St. Peter's Pieta and bring up all the relevant citations with a
single keystroke!

Ruth S. Thomas
Archaeology, Art, Art History, Classics Bibliographer
Mugar Memorial Library
Boston University
771 Commonwealth Ave.
Boston, MA 02215