Dear colleagues,

I am a member of the library faculty at Hofstra University, and we are in the process of articulating criteria for the evaluation of library faculty specific to reappointment and tenure.

I would appreciate hearing from library faculty in institutions which consider creative production in the applied area of art (e.g., exhibit of one's work in a gallery or museum, hand illustrations published in a medical textbook on hand surgery, etc.) to be acceptable in fulfillment of the 'research and scholarly publication' requirement towards tenure and promotion, especially for those library faculty who have an advanced degree in art (MFA) and are involved in reference, collection development, or cataloging activities in the art subject area.  Are there requirements regarding the venue of the exhibit or publication?  Do you use outside evaluators when creative work of this type is used to fulfill research requirements for promotion or tenure?

I've searched Library Literature and Education Abstracts without locating any information on this very specific aspect of the tenure process for library faculty.  In a parallel sense, however, I recall several affirmative discussions specific to performance in music when I was an MLS student in a music librarianship program during the 1980's and when I first became an academic librarian.

Please respond directly to me off-list, and I will summarize for the list in a manner that will preserve confidentiality.

Thanks in advance for any information which you may be able to provide.

Christine W. Gerstein
Collection Development Librarian
Joan & Donald E. Axinn Library
Hofstra University