Hello, I just started a job in a visual resource library.  I was left with
minimal explanation of the classification schemes and cataloging of certain
parts of our collection.  I was wondering if anyone can point me to good
resources.  I am interested in reading up on what is in our library (that is
if it is credible)   Here are some examples:

A slide of an aerial view of Canterbury has the following call number:

AMB C16 B1

I know that AMB stands for Architecture-Medieval-Britain.  I also figured
out that the C16 is cuttered for the name of the building, however I am
unsure how B1 was derived.

Other slide images have different endings.  For instance, the view of the
nave toward the choir for canterbury cathedral is AMB C16 L1.  Does anyone
know about this  method?