From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 7:08 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ART LOST IN WTC ATTACK

After reading today's ARLIS query about art lost/damaged in the WTC attack,
got this *LONG* message that may provide some relevant information.

NCC WASHINGTON UPDATE, Vol. 7, #44, October 25, 2001
> by Bruce Craig <[log in to unmask]>
> National Coordinating Committee for the Promotion ofHistory (NCCPH)

2.  UPDATE: SEPTEMBER 11 DAMAGE REPORT
> The National Task Force on Emergency Response has issued a damage report
> update on the impact that the events of September 11 on museums and
> collections, historic sites and landmarks, libraries and archives in the
> New York and Washington D.C. areas. The Task Force is a coalition of 30
> government agencies and national service organizations formed in 1995 to

help libraries, archives, museums, historical societies, and historic sites
> better protect their cultural and historic resources from damage due to
> disasters. Based on information contained in that damage assessment and on
> information gleaned from additional press reports, here is what we now
know.

> For the most part, historic and art collections are basically sound. Most
> continuing problems relate to dust, ventilation systems, and interruptions
> to communications. For the some 245 pieces of outdoor sculpture in Lower
> Manhattan, however, there is no accurate report of damage as yet, except
> for excessive dust and soot.  Battery Park appears most affected.
>
> According to the Task Force update, "a spectacular art collection,
> including sculptures and drawings by Rodin" was destroyed when the World
> Trade Center Towers collapsed. It is still too early to determine exactly
> how much art was destroyed because much of it was owned by private
> companies and most of them have yet to detail their losses. Cantor
> Fitzgerald lost hundreds of staff and the world's largest private
collection of works by Rodin in the gallery known as the Museum in the
> Sky.  The collection also included 19th Century American and European
> paintings, sculptures, and photographs. Moreover, works by Alexander
> Calder, Louise Nevelson, Joan Miró and Roy Lichtenstein have been damaged
> or totally destroyed. National Public Radio reports that a tapestry by
> Spanish surrealist Joan Miro, which was in the mezzanine of Tower Two, is
> presumed lost. Elyn Zimmerman's memorial fountain to the victims of the
> 1993 World Trade Center bombing was also lost.
>
> Historic preservationists report that most of the 67city landmarks below
> Chamber Street are unscathed though ash-laden.  Some 13 historically or
> architecturally important buildings suffered various degrees of
> damage.  The hardest hit building was the National Park Service unit,
> Federal Hall National Memorial.
>
> The Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA)has been alerted to
> the existence of a valuable collection of artifacts related to the Five
Points site and the African-American Burial Ground (See NCCWASHINGTON
> UPDATE, Vol. 7, #38, September 20, 2001) .  The collection was being
> maintained by the General Services Administration and was stored in the
> basement near 6 World Trade Center. The collection has yet to be located
in
> the ruins.
>
> With the exception of the New Amsterdam Branch of the New York Public
> Library, most libraries in the area below 14th Street have reopened.
> Located in Building 2 of the World Trade Center, the National
Developmental
> Research Institute's library, however, was totally destroyed.  In terms of
> impacts on archival collections, characterized as "probably lost" by the
> Task Force report, is a collection of 35,000 photographs and their
> documentation from the former Broadway Theater Archive.The archive was
> located in the offices of Broadway Digital Entertainment, one block from 7
> World Trade Center.
>
> As previously reported in this publication (see NCC WASHINGTON UPDATE, Vol

7, #39, September 27, 2001), on September 24, various New York State