Another great book is Le Divorce by Diane Johnson
>>> [log in to unmask] 10/18/01 14:57 PM >>>
Although I have not yet read this, I've enjoyed other Pamuk novels and this
one seems particularly relevant today.

Orhan Pamuk, My Name is Red.  Translated from the Turkish (Knopf, 2001)

The waning Ottoman Empire of sultans, court miniaturists, and Venetians is
the context.  For a review see the NYTBR or Christian Science Monitor's Oct.
11 review, "The Deadly Art of Portraits," a t www.csmonitor.com/

Patricia T. Thompson
Art Librarian
Sloane Art Library