A few of you have asked for a summary of the responses I received about
space problems and selection criteria for storage; I'll try to do the many
replies justice:

Several people had good ideas for creating more space, including putting
shelves in the window wells and looking for other more unorthodox areas
where space could be utilized.  We were happy to see that one response
said that compact shelving technology had changed to where it is more
likely that it can be installed in areas formerly thought not to be able
to bear the weight.  Several people mentioned compact shelving and
reported that it helped a great deal, and was not much more expensive (in
the long run) than off-site storage and paging/delivery costs.   Of
course, weeding to create space was mentioned, as was sending materials to
on-site storage.  A couple of people said that logical parts of their
collection were redistributed to other libraries on their
campuses--logical meaning that those materials weren't totally out of
place in the new home.  Patrons seemed not to mind walking across campus
for the materials as much as having to page them from off-site.  Some
people mentioned that some of the materials they had in storage "rotated"
each semester according to what was needed for course reserves, et
cetera--chunks of books could come back for awhile and then be sent
off-site again at the end of the semester.

Several people mentioned that it is so difficult to send art books--visual
materials--off-site because we are as good as throwing them away when we
remove the patrons' ability to browse the images, but acknowledged the
reality of having to turn to off-site storage as a LAST resort.  Criteria
for selection suggestions included setting a publication cut-off date (
ie: 1980) and sending anything prior to that date to storage, particularly
journals.  Other suggestions were to choose materials for storage that had
not circulated in X number of years or that only circulated X number of
times, and to send off older editions and duplicates (that could be paged
back for reserves when needed).   Using Arntzen and Rainwater to gauge the
importance of certain titles was suggested.  Most replies stressed the
importance of conferring with the faculty, involving them in the process
early on, and in keeping open communications with them to reduce anxiety
on their part.  I don't think there was one person who said that off-site
storage was just not working out, and everyone said that patrons
eventually became used to it.  Delivery usually took place the same day or
the next.

Again, I really appreciate all of the responses.   The collective wisdom
of this group is simply invaluable.

Sheryl

Sheryl L. Wilhite
Visual Resources Curator