I have been researching this and thought I'd share the results thus
far with arlis-l in case anyone else is interested. We had a docent
ask because of the destruction of the Calder stabile "Three Red Wings"
(JAM owns a Calder mobile).

Marks, Peter and Carol Vogel. "Arts Groups at a Tradedy's Center Try to
Assess Where to Begin." The New York Times, 9/17/01, p. D1, D5. Includes
WTC public art.

Honan, William H. "A Sculptor's Child is No Longer Glittering." The New York
Times, 10/24/01 (http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/24/arts/design/24KOEN.html)
About Fritz Koenig's "The Sphere".

Vogel, Carol. "Hoping to Save Calder Sculpture." The New York Times,
10/19/01
(http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/19/arts/design/19INSI.html)

The National Public Radio website has articles in the section "America
Responds--
The Home Front" (http://www.npr.org/news/specials/response/home_front/
under "Lost Art," and you can also listen to the interviews there.
        "Lost Art: Hundreds of Works Were Destroyed in the Trade Center Attacks,"
10/16/01
                Features a discussion on the destruction of the memorial, by Elyn
Zimmerman,
                to the victims of the 1993 WTC attack.
        "Found Art: Parts of Calder Sculpture Retrieved From Trade Center,"
10/22/01

If you are interested in the Calder stabile, "Three Red Wings," there is a
photo
of it as it was at its site at 7WTC at:
(http://www.angelfire.com/home/iNetwork/NYC_Images/7wtc2.html)

I hope others will find this useful, and I am interested in knowing about
other
articles too.

Kathy