I would suggest going directly to what I think might be the source of some
such statistical studies: the NEA, the American Association of Museums, the
American Council for the Arts, the National Artists Equity Association,
College Art Association, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, etc., etc.
There are also organizations for particular groups such as African American
and Native American artists that may have conducted these studies.  Some of
these studies may not have received wide distribution.  There was a great
deal of activity in and around diversity in museum in the early to
mid-nineties and some authors were particularly active and might be good
sources as well, such as Lucy Lippard, Amalia Mesa-Baines, or Tomas
Ybarra-Frausto.  I would make some calls to some of the above organizations.
One person will lead you to another.  Perhaps some of the schools that have
museum studies programs may have conducted some studies.  There is a guide to
museum studies programs.  Both the New Art Examiner and Art Forum published
important articles on these subjects.  Someone on one of their staffs may be
able to help.  These are just seeds for what may take a lot of digging.  I
would be interested in knowing what you find.  I know that a great deal was
written and published; it would be good to know if any actual statistical
studies were done as well.  Good luck!