Thanks again for the responses on how to tackle the problem of gaining
intellectual access to the journal Simplicissimus.  I received several requests
to summarize and post the responses I received.  They are listed below:

************

Title: Internationale Bibliographie der Zeitschriftenliteratur aus allen
Gebieten des Wissens.
Variant Title: International bibliography of periodical literature covering all
fields of knowledge
Notes:              "IBZ (kombinierte Folge)".
                     English, German and French.
                     1896-1974. 2 v.
ISSN:               0020-9201

***********
The union list of serials for the Boston Library Consortium shows that the
University of Massachusetts
at Amherst has the full run of Simplicissimus on microfilm.  Perhaps it would
be worth contacting them to see if they are aware of an index.

********
Perhaps the photocopy edition (facsimile?) has
some sort of index?

********
Don't know if this will help but it provides a list of artists:
http://www.graphicwitness.org/group/simp.htm

*******
I would think the critical literature on the journal might contain considerable
indexing. Have
you looked in the bibliography of the Rifkind Center at LACMA? You
might want to contact them directly, because if anyone will know, it
will be those guys.

*****
The Rifkind Center for German Expressionist Studies Library has several books
on the periodical simplicissimus.  I am not aware of an index as such.  You can
access our catalog by going to the Museum's web site: www.lacma.org --click on
Libraries/Research--then on LACMA WebCat.  do a title search on
Simplicissimus--there will be 11 results.  Nos. 3 and 11 might help somewhat.
They are a compilation of some of the "best" illustrations from the journal as
a whole .  A far cry from an index-- We do loan books from our secondary
sources through ILL.