From: Ted Goodman [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 2:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Society news

Hi all- I have received feedback that some members think there has not been
enough communication from the Board and me. I would have thought this might
be a blessed relief after the past few years, but obviously I have waited
too long to tell you that things are humming along fine!  My columns appear
regularly in UPDATE and I am taking part of my column from this months
UPDATE to report here.

The WTC, Pentagon and Pennsylvania attacks by terrorists have affected us
all- we all must deal with our fears in our own ways, but I want you to
know that our plans for the first-ever joint conference with VRA are still
on track!!!

There are 2 Plenary Sessions, 10 Panel Sessions, 6 Seminars and 9 workshops
planned. Additionally, there are 14 tours including visits to 2 Usonian
houses, a visit to the Dana-Thomas House in Springfield, Cahokia Mounds,
Laumier Sculpture Park, the new Pulitzer Museum and numerous churches,
cemeteries and parks. Check out the
website  http://library.wustl.edu/~beth/Conference.html  or link from the
ARLIS/NA homepage and put the dates on your calendar- Mar. 21-26, 2002.

A postcard alerting the Exhibitors to the dates was sent and we are
currently working on the Exhibitors Prospectus and the Preliminary Program-
both of which will be sent out in early November.

The Mid-Year Executive Board meeting was held Aug. 11-13, 2001 in New York
at Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library. Thanks to Angela Giral,
Columbia University and the Avery Index for supporting the meeting.

Elizabeth Clarke sent a "Message to the Membership" to ARLIS-L on Aug. 9
outlining the accomplishments of our management firm, which is now into the
second year of the contract. The Board is very pleased with the performance
of our management company, particularly with regard to the financial
management and systems. They have been working on the updating of the
website, online services, the membership database and directory.

Clarke has been advocating a broader advertising and incentive program of
bundling sponsored-giving opportunities. We will be formulating an overall
vision of sponsorships that allows donors to reap benefits paired with
larger donations.

The Executive Board also voted to shift responsibility for advertising to
Elizabeth Clarke & Associates. This should provide greater coordination for
publication and related financial systems.  We wish Kate Shanley all the
best in the future and thank her for her work with ARLIS/NA.

The finances of the Society are in good order. All individual stocks and
bonds have been sold with the proceeds placed in the Schwab Money Market
account where it continues to earn a steady income. We are now in
compliance with the ARLIS/NA investment policy. The Executive Board voted
to dissolve the Finance Committee in accordance with Bylaws Article XI.8.
The Motion and discussion will soon be posted on the ARLIS/NA website.

A new Board Subcommittee on Finance chaired by the Treasurer is in place.
It will be charged with examining the overall ARLIS/NA finance and
investment policies created a few years ago under a Finance Committee
chaired by Ann Abid (and other Finance Committees). We plan to move some
funds into a mix of conservative investments in accordance with existing
policies.

I am pleased to let you know again that the new editors of Art
Documentation are Tom Jacoby and Kathy Zimon. They will be working closely
with the Publications Committee and Elizabeth Clarke & Associates to insure
timely and provocative future issues.  Our thanks to outgoing editors Betsy
Peck Learned and Stephanie Sigala for their years of hard work!

A quick reminder that the ARLIS/NA Southeast Chapter is sponsoring a
Regional Conference in
Fort Lauderdale/Boca Raton, Florida on November 8 - 11, 2001. Check out
their website at http://www.seflin.org/arlis-se/conf01.htm   I will be
attending this with our South Rep. Paula Hardin.

Also, the ARLIS/NA Mountain West Chapter will host its Annual Conference on
November 7-9, 2001 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Check out their website at
http://www.lib.byu.edu/~visart/arlismw/2001conf.html
Daniel Starr, Vice President, will be attending this with the West Rep.,
Leslie Abrams.

Both Daniel & I are trying to make ourselves available to you on a local
level by attending meetings and communicating through your Regional Reps.

Sherman Clarke, Nominations Chair, announced the approval of the slate.
Congratulations to Allen Townsend, President-elect, Phil Heagy,
Treasurer-elect, Kay Teel, West Regional Rep-elect and Irene Puchalski,
Canadian Rep-elect.

As you also know, Daniel Starr is forming a Special Committee to
investigate the election process and several former presidents have agreed
to be on the committee.

Daniel will also be gathering names for committee chairs and committee
members. If you want to become active on a particular committee, please
contact him.

Always, If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call me
at 212-854-8407 or email me at [log in to unmask]

Ted Goodman
ARLIS/NA President