Forwarded from the NINCH list.

>>> NINCH-ANNOUNCE <[log in to unmask]> 9/13/01 1:02:50 PM >>>
NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
from across the Community
September 13, 2001

        REAL LIFE: VIRTUAL EXPERIENCES NEW CONNECTIONS FOR MUSEUM VISITORS
                   Museum Computer Network/CIMI Joint Conference
                     October 24-27, 2001; Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
                         Early Registration Deadline Sept 15:
                         http://www.mcn.edu/mcn2001/index.htm

>Date: 22 Aug 2001 12:03:41 -0500
>From: Robin Dowden <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: MCN/CIMI Joint Conference Explores Key Applications that Shape Museum
>**apologies for cross postings **

MCN/CIMI Joint Conference Explores Key Applications that Shape Museum
Visitors' Experience

REAL LIFE: VIRTUAL EXPERIENCES
NEW CONNECTIONS FOR MUSEUM VISITORS
October 24-27, 2001
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

EARLY REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS SEPTEMBER 15TH
Register online http://www.mcn.edu/mcn2001/index.htm

EXPERTS SPEAK
MCN and CIMI are pleased to announce the opening and closing plenary speakers.

Genevieve Bell
Genevieve Bell, is a design ethnographer within the Intel
Architecture Labs at Intel in Hillsboro, Oregon. Her group, Peoples
and Practices Research, is responsible for finding new users and new
uses for technology using social science research methods. Genevieve
has conducted ethnographic fieldwork in households across Western
Europe, China and the United States. She is interested in the
intersections of emerging technologies and social practice as they
occur within domestic and public spaces. Prior to joining Intel in
August of 1998, Genevieve taught anthropology and Native American
studies at Stanford University. She has conducted fieldwork with
indigenous peoples in the US and Australia. Genevieve holds a PhD in
cultural anthropology from Stanford University and a combined AB/MA
from Bryn Mawr College in Philadelphia.

Lise Anne Couture
Lise Anne Couture, is an architect and principle of Asymptote
Architecture, New York, New York.  Asymptote's work ranges from
experimental installations and computer generated environments to
building design and urban planning.  Most recently, Asymptote
participated in the exhibit, 01.01.01: Art in Technological Times, at
the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, and designed a large scale
computer generated environment for the New York Stock Exchange.
Future projects include the design and implementation of the
Guggenheim Virtual Museum, a fully interactive multi-dimensional
digital architecture accessible as both actual building and through
the Internet.

Second generation hand-held devices...immersive
environments....wearable technologies...smart architecture...rich
multimedia...user-centered design.
Robin Dowden and Angela Spinazze, Conference Co-chairs

-----------------------------------
Robin Dowden
Director, Integrated Information Resources
Walker Art Center
612-375-7541 voice
612-375-7575 fax
[log in to unmask] http://www.walkerart.org

NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements.
We attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and
appreciate reciprocal credit.

For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>