I think you identified what are a set of small books published by Van Nostrand Reinhold (at least three of them) in 1969.    They do not have a series name, but are the same 8"x8" format. They are:
Birren, Faber,  Principles of color
Itten, Johannes, The elements of color
Munsell, Albert, A grammar of color
Ostwald, Wilhelm, The color primer.

Faber Birren edited and wrote introductions to the three that he did not write.

Anne O. Morris
Head Librarian
Toledo Museum of Art
Box 1013
Toledo, OH  43697
tel:(419)255-8000, ext. 7379
fax:(419)255-5638

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/12/01 03:49PM >>>
A student came in looking for the books her painting professor had
recommended: a series or set of four books about color theory. Three of the
authors of individual volumes were Birren, Itten, and Munsell. I couldn't
identify any such set or series on the spot. Later I read through Mary
Buckley, Color Theory: A Guide to Information Sources and found no sets or
series listed there either. I did notice that Van Nostrand Reinhold and/or
Reinhold publishers had published books by these authors. Am I missing
something, or are these publications the elusive "series"?

Linda Zieper