Hello - I have a question from a student who is interested in an artist
whose name he cannot remember.

This artist was an early 20th-century American painter who painted very few
paintings (20-30 is student's guess) but re-worked his canvasses over and
over many times.  Robert Rauschenberg and Jasper Johns claimed to have been
influenced by this painter and his exploration of what could be done with
paint. Rauschenberg or Johns are supposed to have said that this artist was
one of the most important of the 20th century.  The student said there was a
small exhibit of this artist at the National Gallery about 15 years ago
(again, an estimate).  The student spoke to the curatorial departments at
the National Gallery but they couldn't help him.

I thought someone might know this off the top of their heads.  Thanks!

Sara
--
Sara J. MacDonald, Public Services Librarian
The University of the Arts - University Libraries