Roberto--I asked my husband, Robert Benedetti, who is a producer of movies
for tv and has had several books published recently about film/tv acting and
film/tv production.  Naturally, they have all included clips from film and
video.  I knew that he had had some difficulty obtaining permission for the
images he wanted.  Following is what he said.  Naturally, he would also love
to know if there is an easier route.  --Joan Benedetti

For stills from a film, one must get permission from the PR department of the
studio that made the film - they own it   and are the "author" as far as
copyright goes.  If actors are depicted, one must also get their permission.
AND THEN one must also get the permission of the Screen Actors Guild allowing
the actors to waive their usual royalty rights. This is easy IF the actors
are stars, harder if they are unknowns.  If the image is from a book, the
publisher's permission would have to be obtained IN ADDITION to the other
things I mentioned earlier.  I know of no "clearing house" for film images.