I'm sure I've dealt with these clowns over the years. As we use a PO system
here, I can easily tell the caller whether or not I've ordered. I also
remember telling those who insist otherwise, especially those who try to
bully, that our library's policy has been to treat all unsolicited mailings
as gifts. If they want it back, I ask them to send a postage paid label.
That usually works like a charm. I don't see one of their publications
currently resting on our questionable acquisitions shelf at the moment, so I
guess I've beaten them off for this year.

And on a related note, how many of you receive the direct mailing offering a
weekly newsletter on biz etiquette or marketing or something similarly
lightweight that looks like a page ripped out of Business Week, with a
yellow sticky on it with this on it: "Cathy, you should buy this. J" We have
so many faculty around here whose names begin with "J" that it puzzled me
until I figured it out and looked closely to see just how nicely the
"handwritten note" was laser printed. In the last year, I've received this
"personal" note at least 5 times. That'll teach us all to put our real names
into legitimate directories like the American Library Directory!

I guess they think there's one born every minute.

Cathy Donaldson
Library Director
Art Institute of Seattle