I am a new subscriber to ARLIS-L and an interim art librarian at the
University of Connecticut.

My first two reference questions were for help in assessing the value of
items people have found in their homes.

I did a search of the ARLIS-L archives and found some relevant and
interesting information.  But what I am really looking for is some tactful
wording for responses to such questions.

I am working on a generic response that can nonetheless be customized to
individual questioners.  For example, I have a paragraph about the local
"Expertising" sessions held twice a year at a prominent art museum in
Connecticut, with contact information, upcoming dates, etc.

But I would like additional wording about typical sources referred to in
advising patrons to do their own research, as well as a tactful way of
advising them that we are not in a position to conduct monetary appraisals.

Would anyone have wording they are willing to share--either to the list or
(if you are all tired of this question) directly to me.

Thanks so much.

Ellen Embardo
Reference/Liaison Librarian
Homer Babbidge Library, U-1005RI