  It takes an incredible amount of time and energy to create a slate of
candidates for ARLIS/NA office. Similarly, it takes time and energy to
prepare to be on the slate.  I do not think the issue is one of "sore
losers".  As part of my preparation to run for ARLIS/NA office, I had to
get approval from library administrators both in terms of my time and
financial commitments.  This process is rarely simple or straightforward
but to do it multiple times becomes rather awkward based on institutional
approval and support patterns.  As many of us know, such support has
tended to become more limited in recent years.
  Like Ruth Thomas, Boston University, I too would prefer a two-candidate
per-office slate.  However, I question its continuing viability for the
Society at this time.  At the same time, I encourage more ARLIS/NA members
to run for ofice which represents a superb opportunity to support our
profession and our professional networks.

B. J. Kish Irvine, Ph.D.
Fine Arts Librarian
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47405