Forwarded from Joy Kestenbaum, President of ARLIS/NY

                ---------------

To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:18:51 -0100
Subject: ARLIS/NY visit to the Dahesh Museum
From: Joy Kestenbaum <[log in to unmask]>

REMINDER; we are still planning to meet.

On Monday, September 24, ARLIS/NY will meet at the Dahesh Museum of Art,
601 Fifth Avenue, 2nd floor, between 48th and 49th Streets, from 5:00
7:00 p.m.

We will have short business meeting, a reception and a special viewing of
the current exhibition,  Telling Tales I: Classical Images from the
Dahesh Museum of Art.

After the business meeting, at approximately 6:00 p.m., J. David Farmer,
the Director, will talk briefly about the museum, its history and future.
 He will introduce the exhibition s curator, Roger Diederen, Associate
Curator, who will also speak.

Our hosts have graciously permitted us to have our reception in their
exhibition gallery.  Please be attentive to the artwork on display as you
enjoy the food and drinks.

The gift shop will be open during our meeting.

In order to know how many people to expect, please notify Joy if you plan
on attending. (I've already heard from many of you.)

Contact Joy Kestenbaum:         Tel (718) 636-3714
E-mail:  (Pratt's Internet and email connection has been lost since
September 11th, so please call or send email to [log in to unmask])

Joy Kestenbaum
Chair, ARLIS/NY
Art & Architecture Librarian/Assistant Professor
Pratt Institute
(718) 636-3714

>From the Dahesh Museum Website:
 The Dahesh Museum of Art is the only museum in America dedicated to
collecting and exhibiting 19th- and early 20th-century European academic
art, which is the continuation of the great Renaissance, Baroque and
Rococo traditions in the visual arts.  The Museum is a leader in
rediscovering the rich art and history of the French Academy, the British
Royal Academy and other centers of artistic tradition throughout the
Western world.
        Telling Tales I explores the Classical legacy in a broad range of
exquisite paintings, drawings and sculptures from the Dahesh Museum of
Art collection and demonstrates how 19th-century academic artists adapted
the Classical canon to their specific needs and aspirations.
        Telling Tales I  was organized by Associate Curator Roger Diederen, who
wrote the full-color catalogue that complements the exhibition.  The
second half of this investigation, Telling Tales II, which begins October
16, investigates religious imagery from the same period.
http://www.daheshmuseum.org