        The Frick Collection and Frick Art Reference Library were without
email for almost a week after Sept. 11th and missed whatever appeared on the
list over that period. Located as we are on Manhattan's Upper East Side
we're physically removed from the site of the tragedy downtown. One staff
member is missing a niece; several are missing friends. As time goes on one
learns of more personal connections. I just heard that a college classmate's
husband is missing.     When some people think of the Frick they use words
like "serene." In fact we're like any other small institution. When a
colleague or their loved ones are ill or missing, we worry.

        In the case of a disaster like the one we've had, we're left with
survivor guilt and bystander grief like all of you. We extend our sympathy
and offer of support to colleagues at insitutions downtown and in
Washington, D.C., and exhort you if possible to give blood (now or later),
money (not just to the heroes) and comfort, and to practice tolerance.

Mark Bresnan
Frick Art Reference Library of
The Frick Collection