To ARLIS/NA colleagues and friends

On behalf of ARLIS/ANZ, I would like to express our sympathy for all of
those affected by the terrible acts of terrorism in New York and Washington.

Following the IFLA - ARLIS/NE conference in Boston, many of us from
overseas visited New York art libraries and galleries.  Only 10 days ago  I
was drinking a marguerita in the 'Windows on the World' restaurant on the
107th floor of the World Trade Centre.  This tragedy is a numbing
experience for all of us.

This is a dreadful time for students and staff we have here with American
origins, family and friends.  Here at the National Institute of the Arts at
the Australian National University we have set up televisions  in both the
art and music libraries .  They are providing continuous news coverage for
all of our staff and students.  A lecturer coming to the ANU with her
family was on one of the planes.  Our Prime Minister, John Howard, is still
in Washington.

We wish to offer friendship and support to all of our colleagues and
friends affected by this devastating act.  My prayers are with you.

Joye Volker