Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 11:37:59 -0400
From: Jenni M Rodda <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: UPDATE ON WHAT'S HAPPENING IN NEW YORK CITY

Dear VRA-L readers:

For those of you trying to get through to those of us living and working
in New York City:  Those of us at the Institute are fine, if frightened.
If you try and call in to New York, you will find that the telephone
system is sporadic at best; I've heard that the cell phone system is
completely disrupted.  Keep trying, or use e-mail.  Public
transportation is disrupted.  You can see the smoke from the fires at
what was the World Trade Center all the way up here; no one is hazarding
to estimate casualties.  Manhattan is more or less closed; if you're
trying to get here from outside the city, you will be held back at the
bridges and tunnels (almost all of which are closed).

Say prayers, please.  And everyone stay safe.  If I can, I'll post
updates from here as appropriate.  I may be here overnight, since I have
to cross a river to get home, and we may not be allowed to do that.

Jenni Rodda, Curator
Visual Resources Collections
Institute of Fine Arts
1 East 78th Street
New York, NY  10021
212/992-5872 voice, 212/992-5807 fax
[log in to unmask] OR [log in to unmask]