My guess would be John Frederick Peto because of the collage/trompe l'oeil
effects of his rack paintings.  The show was at the National Gallery and
Amon Carter Museum in 1983.  Catalogue by John Wilmerding was called
"Important Information Inside", and has become quite rare.  I seem to
remember some mention made of Peto's influence on modern artists,
particularly after his 'rediscovery' by Edith Halpert at the Downtown
Gallery in the 40s-50s.

Milan R. Hughston
Chief of Library & Museum Archives
The Museum of Modern Art