Good morning all,

In the past I have recommended the Pathfinder's that Gaylord puts out.  These are free for the asking and touch briefly on different paper and photographic formats and sizes.

The Northeast Document Center's (NEDCC) preservation manual is helpful as well and is available online (I don't have the URL handy).

Maybe someone else can suggest a source for the family historian.  Although, you might check the book sections of the University Products catalog (available online, too) or Light Impressions.  The AASLH site might also have something geared toward family history in its publications.

Good Luck,
Kristina

Jill Patrick wrote:

> Archival Collection/Preservation Guide for AmateursHello friends,
>
> I am looking for a very simple Archival Collection/Preservation Guide for Amateurs that I can give to an alumnus who is maintaining a family archive, including the papers and drawings of an architect. He is not ready to give it away yet but is concerned about proper storage and preservation. He is also interested in filling in the missing gaps so that the archive is more complete.
>
> Can any of you recommend a suitable Book or Pamphlet that offers guidance to amateur family historians or "keepers of the family heirlooms" which would include storage and preservation tips as well as pointers on completing the archival record, how to document the collection, what to put in the will, and how to approach a library or archives when it is time to find a permanent home for the collection.
>
> If you can suggest something or just point me to a website, it would be much appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jill Patrick
> Ontario College of Art & Design

ÿWPCS