Many of the young graphic designers at Yale and elsewhere have become interested in the work of Ladisav Sutnar, a Czechoslovakian immigrant who came to the U.S. in the late thirties and exercised enormous influence through his work and through his books: Catalogue Design Progress (1950),  Design for Point of Sale (1952), Package Design (1953) and Visual Design in Action (1961).  A recent graduate in the Graphic Design program at Yale is doing research on Sutnar and has asked if I knew of any repository for his correspondence and papers.  I suggested the Archives of American Art and the American Institute of Graphic Arts (do they have an archive?), but if any ARLIS colleagues know of any other possible sources, could you please reply to me (off line, or to the group if you wish to share info).  If you have any actual papers or correspondence, please indicate.
    If any of you have seen Sutnar's Catalog Design Progress or have it in your collection, I suggest having a look.  It's an extraordinary work (based on Sutnar's redsign of Sweet's catalogs) and perhaps the masterpiece in the literature of modern American Graphic Design.
    Ray Smith / R.W. Smith Bookseller
    New Haven