This is not to complicate things a whole lot, and I don't have the answer.
There is a web page on the Richmond, VA civil war monuments which deals
with some interesting myths, at
http://richmond.about.com/library/weekly/aa011101a.htm

The famous sculpture of Peter I in St. Peterburg has both the horse's
forelegs up in the air, but he didn't die in battle.

Ruth Wallach
USC