On Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:39:24 EDT Trudi Olivetti
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> About three years ago, Peter Blank sent around an inquiry
regarding the cataloging and processing of CD-Roms issued
with books. Responses he received formed the basis of
discussion for policies regarding that material. He was
kind enough to share his conclusions with the respondees. >
> I would like to revisit this issue and ask the ARLIS
community the following:

> 1. How do you store the CDs which accompany books - are
they separated or shelved with?
        We shelve the CD's behind the
circulation/reserve desk (by call number) and the books in
the bookstacks.  We do this so they won't be lost in open
shelving.  Circulating CD's are charged out just like books.

> 2. Do you make a distinction (in terms of storage) between
CDs which are basically text only and those which include
images, other media, and have an interactive aspect? >
        NO -and same loan policies as books

> 3. How do you store CDs considered to be reference
materials?
        Interfiled with the others - marked with yellow
tape.  They can be played on a public computer near the
circ desk.

        The catalog location for CD's tells users to ask at
the Circulation Desk.

 > > Please respnd to me directly and not to the
list. [log in to unmask] > Thanks so much for your input. >
> Trudi Olivetti
> National Gallery of Art Library > >

Barbara A. Jackson
Public Services Librarian