A wealth of experience and perspectives will be presented by the
speakers selected for the upcoming 16-17 August satellite meeting prior
to the Boston meeting of IFLA.  The meeting, sponsored by the New
England chapter of ARLIS/NA, is an opportunity for art librarians and
visual resource curators from around the world to meet and learn from
each other.  The theme of the meeting is the question often we often
hear:  "How can I find a picture of ...?" : The Changing Nature of Image

Research.

The conference is open to all interested parties, not just those
attending the following annual meeting of IFLA.  Everyone will be
welcomed on Thursday 16 August when we assemble at the Boston
Architectural Center to hear Pulitzer Prize-winning critic Robert
Campbell discuss the challenges of creating new and interesting
buildings in a city like Boston, with such a strong historical character

and such strong neighborhood sentiments.

On Friday 17 August we devote the day to hearing about and discussing
the challenges we each face as we provide access to images, from our own

collections and from those of other instutitions and vendors.  The
speakers represent an interesting array of those actively involved in
the changes wrought by the digital revolution.  We begin the day at the
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, with our keynote speaker Henry Pisciotta
(Pennsylvania State University) who will present a vision of current and

future issues that are crucial to our success.  Three respondents will
take off from Henry's comments and present the world as seen through
their individual and institutional perspectives:  Nancy Allen, Museum of

Fine Arts, Boston, MA;  Geert-Jan Koot, Rijksmuseum Research Library,
Amsterdam; and Elisa Lanzi, Smith College, Northampton, MA
Public Library.
Later that afternoon we will reassemble at Harvard University to learn
about imaging projects from around the world.  Our three speakers
represent some of the major national libraries involved today with large

digitization programs: Marie-Claude Thompson, Departement des estampes
et de la photographie, Bibliotheque Nationale de France; Helena Zinkham,

Head, Technical Services Section, Prints and Photographs Division,
Library of Congress; and Graham Jefcoate, Head of Early Printed
Collections, British Library.  After a break we will hear from two
speakers talking about consortial imaging projects:  Beth Sandore, Head,

Digital Imaging and Media Technology Initiative, University of Illinois;

and Dan Greenstein, Director of the Digital Library Foundation (speaking

on DLF initiatives including ArtSTOR).
At the conclusion of the program Katherine Martinez, director of the
Fine Arts Library at Harvard University will provide a summery of the
themes we have discussed throughout the meeting.

If you haven't registered already, please consider sending in your
registration today.  The postmarked deadline is July 15, and there will
not be onsite registration for those who have not already notified us of

their attendance.  The full program, registration form, tour information

and housing suggestions are on the website:
    http://www.library.yale.edu/arlis-ifla-2001/

We look forward to seeing you in Boston in August!

Hugh Wilburn
(Chair, ARLIS/NA-IFLA 2001 Task Force)
Librarian of the Frances Loeb Library
Harvard Design School