We don't use a drop-card (color card) system though many collections do;
it works very well if you have a back-up card for each slide, so the color
card indicates exactly which one is out.  But if you are circulating among
several groups of faculty, or several buildings, or to outside borrowers,
your system of xeroxing the slides, giving you a record of the labels, is
what we also use and is absolutely necessary.  With a xerox in hand, as
others have pointed out before, you have proof that borrower A did take
25 Ingres slides and has only returned 19, and if borrower B wants Ingres
when it is not there, he can be told when it was taken out and when it
will be returned. (And if a label is lost, you can replace it from the
xerox record information.)
Barcodes will probably be routine in the future, but for now most people
find it not worth the expense.

Helen Chillman, Yale