Welcome Jon,

In our library we use a color card manual check-out system.  Each member of
our faculty is assigned a color and we provide a number of assigned color
cards for each faculty member to use throughout the year.  Faculty pull
slides from our storage drawers and leave a color card in the slot where
they removed an individual slide.  When faculty return slides, a library
assistant refiles the slides and removes the color card from the slot.  The
benefits are that this procedure is economical, expedient and allows the
faculty an easy means of recording their own checkouts.  While it is not a
sophisticated tracking system, it does allow us a certain measure of control
and we can cross-reference our slides with our Slide Database whenever it is
necessary to verify the individual slide-titles that are checked out.  The
disadvantages stem from the fact that this is a manual system.  Our
circulation method makes hands-on inventorying necessary; it assumes that
there are never any filing errors and that faculty always place a color card
in for each slide the take out :-); and it does not provide us with an
automated circulation count.

We have considered implementing a barcode system.  However, we do not have
any immediate plans to purchase one.  I hope this information helps.  If you
would like any more details feel free to call.
Loree Bourgoin
Krieble Library
Lyme Academy of Fine Arts
(860) 434-5232 x131