Thank you, Katherine.

>>> Kraig Binkowski <[log in to unmask]> 07/06 9:25 AM >>>
Unfortunately there is no connection between Thornton Oakley and
Violet Oakley, other than the fact that they both studied with Howard
Pyle.  Violet Oakley was born in 1874 in New Jersey, just outside of
NYC, her grandfather being George Oakley, member of the National
Academy of Design.  Thornton Oakley was born in Pittsburgh in 1881.
Thornton's father had changed the family name from "Okely" to "Oakley"
during the Civil War.

Hope this information helps,

Kraig A. Binkowski
Head Librarian
Helen Farr Sloan Library
Delaware Art Museum
2301 Kentmere Parkway, Wilmington, DE 19806
(302) 571-9590 ext 529   [log in to unmask]

>>> Mary Webb <[log in to unmask]> 07/05/01 08:22AM >>>
Dear List Members:
I have been asked by a researcher to help establish a connection
between the
American artist Thornton Oakley (1881-1953) and the muralist, Violet
Oakley
(1874-1961). They both studied with Howard Pyle, and the names
suggest an
obvious familial connection. Any help would be appreciated.
Cordially,
Mary Webb
AskART.com