The planners of the ARLIS/NA-IFLA Art Section Satellite Meeting in
Boston are pleased to offer a variety of tours on Thursday afternoon, 16
August, directly following our first gathering, Robert Campbell’s
lecture at the Boston Architectural Center. While visits to the
collections of the Museum of Fine Arts and the Fogg Art Museum are
included during the program on Friday, Thursday afternoon is a chance
for our visitors to get out and explore, first-hand, some of the
neighborhoods, the boulevards and alleys, the grand squares and river
banks, that make Boston a walker’s paradise.

Those of us who work every day in the city can become complacent about
how delightful our city really is. These tours are our chance to share
with you just a few of Boston’s many charms. It will be hard to choose
between the pleasures of a cool boat ride down the Charles River and
under our stunning new bridge, or a walk up the narrow streets and
walkways of Beacon Hill to the Public Gardens, or to a chance to view
the grand plans and architectural highlights of the Copley Square and
Back Bay districts,  from the stately Commonwealth Avenue mall to
Trinity Church and the John Hancock Tower. While we only have this one
afternoon open for tours, we hope those of you staying for the main IFLA
conference will find time for additional explorations on your own.  Feel
free to contact us for additional neighborhoods or sites to visit.  The
tours are described in more detail on the meeting website:
    http://www.library.yale.edu/arlis-ifla-2001/

So pack your walking shoes, and join us for the afternoon!  Send in your
registration by July 15, and we'll be happy to show you around town in
August.

-- Sarah Dickinson (ARLIS/NA liaison to IFLA 2001 Local Planning Group)
via Hugh Wilburn
(Chair, ARLIS/NA-IFLA 2001 Task Force)