Forwarded from the NINCH list.

>>> NINCH-ANNOUNCE <[log in to unmask]> 06/19/01 05:20PM >>>
NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
from across the Community
June 19, 2001

                             CALL FOR PAPERS
          International Society for Knowledge Organization (ISKO)
               The Seventh International ISKO Conference
        "Challenges in Knowledge Representation and Organization
     for the 21st Century: Integration of Knowledge across Boundaries"
                     July 10-13, 2002: Granada, Spain

                       DEADLINE: September 15, 2001
             http://is.gseis.ucla.edu/orgs/isko/news.html

>Date:         Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:41:59 -0500
>Sender: Digital Libraries Research mailing list
>From: Clare Beghtol <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Revised dates for ISKO-7
>To: [log in to unmask]

Please excuse cross-posting. Please note revised dates for the
conference.

The Seventh International ISKO Conference. Granada, Spain, 10-13
July, 2002. "Challenges in Knowledge Representation and
Organization for the 21st Century: Integration of Knowledge across
Boundaries." Call for papers.

The need for a worldwide communication system that can retrieve
information efficiently, regardless of national and cultural
boundaries, has become more and more pressing. New electronic
environments (such as the Internet, where the world is at hand,
where all cultures coexist, and where quality is low) have created
this need. These new environments provide significant challenges for
those dedicated to study and research on knowledge representation and
organization. Similarly, the digitalization of information is
responsible for increasing emphasis on the need for integrating models
of knowledge representation and organization. Digitalization allows a
huge amount of information to be stored and retrieved, and the
challenge is to develop models to improve the management of
information in this new framework. Traditional information retrieval
systems face similar problems because we lack retrieval tools designed
to integrate knowledge. In this situation, an in-depth examination of
the integration of knowledge across boundaries is warranted.

Study of the integration of knowledge leads to other important
topics.

One of these is the concept of universality. New insights into
universality needs to include topics geared to the revision of the
concept, such as how universality was previously understood in
knowledge organization, and what problems arose as a consequence of
this understanding. Further, we need to move to a consideration of the
concept of universality as it should be understood now, in the
electronic era. How can universality be represented in conceptual
structures? Integration of specialized knowledge across geographic or
cultural domains can be a way to address this unsolved problem.

Related to the same problem are topics such as how the integration of
knowledge affects different subject domains and users, linguistic
issues, and applications that support new models. In addition, we need
to look at equality in knowledge organization. This is an important
aspect for supranational systems, and it means that we need a special
focus on minorities so that we can represent them well in knowledge
structures. At the same time, professional ethics needs to be
reflected within this framework because knowledge organization affects
the way people think about and perceive reality, and minorities and
other similar groups may become invisible or wrongly conceptualized.
Professionals need to be aware of these issues and should be
attempting to solve these problems.

OBJECTIVES
In light of these considerations, the integration of knowledge
across boundaries is the general theme of the 7th International
ISKO Conference to be held in Granada (Spain) in July 2002. The
Conference has two main objectives:

1) to analyze models for knowledge representation and organization,
as a state of the art departure point, and

2) to propose new models, methods and techniques of integrating
knowledge across boundaries in order to improve performance in the
new century.

The conference will include the following specific topics,
among others:

1.Epistemological foundations of knowledge representation and
organization systems and theories

2.Models, methods and concepts for knowledge representation and
organization: towards integration and universality

3.Professional ethics in knowledge representation and organization

4.Users in multicultural domain-oriented and/or general systems

5.Evaluation of supranational systems

6.Internet and the integration of knowledge: artificial intelligence,
data mining, and multicultural systems.

Researchers and practitioners involved in knowledge
representation and organization are invited to submit abstract between
500 and 1000 words by September 15, 2001 to Prof. Maria J.
Lopez-Huertas. Electronic submissions in Word or RTF format are
recommended (please include ISKO in the subject line) to the following
address <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

In preparing your abstract please include objectives,  methodology and
results as far as possible, and relate your topic to the theme of the
Conference and indicate the category above to which you believe your
paper belongs. An international programme committee will review the
papers, and authors will be notified of decisions by November 15,
2001. The deadline for submission of papers for the printed Conference
Proceedings will be March 1, 2002.

Accommodation  and travel information will come later.  Venue of
the Conference:

Palacio de Congresos de Granada (Spain)

Conference Chair: Maria J. Lopez-Huertas

Mailing address: Facultad de Biblioteconom=EDa y
Documentacion (Faculty of Library and Information Science)

Universidad de Granada. Colegio Maximo de Cartuja.
18071 Granada (Spain)

Fax: 34 958 243490

e-mail: { HYPERLINK "mailto:[log in to unmask]" [log in to unmask]

Clare Beghtol, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Faculty of Information Studies
University of Toronto
140 St. George St.
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3G6
Canada
voice: (416) 978-8852
fax: (416) 971-1399

Clare Beghtol, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Faculty of Information Studies
University of Toronto
140 St. George St.
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3G6
Canada
voice: (416) 978-8852
fax: (416) 971-1399

Clare Beghtol, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Faculty of Information Studies
University of Toronto
140 St. George St.
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3G6
Canada
voice: (416) 978-8852
fax: (416) 971-1399

Sun Microsystems, Inc. has published the second edition of its
popular "Digital Library Toolkit", a valuable resource for anyone
planning a digital collection. To download a free copy, go to:

http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/libraries/digitaltoolkit.html

NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements.
We attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and
appreciate reciprocal credit.

For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>