Hello All,

I am pleased to announce that Mark Catesby's Natural History of
Carolina, Florida, and the Bahama Islands Volumes I & II (London, 1754)
are the first electronic facsimiles to be added to the Digital Library
for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture.  You may view the
facsimile through the redesigned Digital Library at
http://decorativearts.library.wisc.edu or directly at
http://libtext.library.wisc.edu/DLDecArts.

Based on two extended trips to America between 1712 and 1726, Catesby's
work may be the first accurate depiction of the flora and fauna of the
New World. Thomas Jefferson and Lewis and Clark were among those in
America who sought out The Natural History for their personal libraries.

With the electronic pageturner, users of the Web site can browse more
than 500 digital facsimiles of color plates and text or they may search
for specific terms and pages. The page images are accessible in three
sizes: one for quick browsing, another suitable for printing, and a
third for examining fine details.

The volumes from which the digital version was created are held by the
University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Special Collections;
another set is owned by the Chipstone Foundation, which has generously
funded this project.

I hope you will find this resource of interest.  Please feel free to
contact me with any comments or questions.

Thanks,
Cate Cooney

Digital Projects Librarian
University of Wisconsin-Madison