-----Original Message-----
From: Mitchell, James [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2001 7:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: auction catalogs collection survey

> Cross-posted to arlis-l and rlg-scipio. Apologies for duplication.
>
> As mentioned at the SCIPIO Users group meeting in Los Angeles, I'd like to
> hear from institutions with significant collections of auction sales
> catalogs. I hope that you will take a few minutes to fill out the
> following short survey. This survey is not limited to SCIPIO contributors,
> but is an attempt to gather information for identification and comparison
> of collections.
>
> *     Library name and institution. Include urls for library homepage and
> catalog.
McCracken Research Library, Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Cody, Wyoming
OPAC: http://wyldweb.state.wy.us/bbhc

> *     Approximately how many auction catalogs do you own?
>       2000

> *     Briefly describe the scope of your collection, considering such
> factors as: subject area, auction house locations, and dates of sales.
American Art, Western Americana, Plains Indian art and ethnology, firearms
and firearms accouterments, Buffalo Bill's Wild West, American photography,
rare books, and ephemera.  Catalogs from the 1970's to present.
Auction houses from New York to San Francisco.  Focus on major houses such
as Butterfields, Doyle, Christie's, Sotheby's, and selected specialty
auctions such as the Coeur d'Alene Art Auction held in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.
Current subscriptions: 25

> *     Have you contributed records to SCIPIO?
>       NO

> *     Are your auction catalog records included in your opac or some other
> locally maintained database?
>Records are kept on an in-house list.  Not OPAC accessible.  Hope to remedy
this soon.

> *     What is the status of your recon efforts or plans?
>Presently completing the automation of the monograph collections catalog
and entry of serials into OPAC.  Hope to then get manuscript collections,
auction catalogs and other materials into OPAC.