From: Zoeckler, Linda [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2001 9:14 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Library Valuation of Gift Books, etc.

Hello ARLISians!

At a recent ARLIS chapter meeting, I asked if any libraries placed a
monetary valuation on gift books received.  Most responses ranged from "No!"
to "No! What a can of worms!"  Since then the topic has preyed upon my mind,
so now I wonder about the following issues:

Does any library place their own itemized valuation on each gift book
received?
Does any library feel it is safer to place a collective value on a
collection of gift books?
How does the library set a value -- especially since not all gifts are
listed in BIP?
If the library sets values, do they do this for "internal purposes" only?
How long is the "value" good for -- weeks, months, a year or more?
Have any library documents with internal valuations been subpoenaed by a
court in a tax dispute?
Does any library issue a document that provides latitude in disposing of the
gift, or limits the library's liability if the gift gets damaged or
lost?
If the library does issue such a document, do they require the donor to sign
and date it?
Have you ever experienced donors or their heirs suddenly appearing to
examine or to "check on" gifts?
Do you bookplate all gift books?

I did find one library that placed an internal valuation on gifts, and they
advised setting a low value.  In our increasingly litigious and money-hungry
society I wonder what art libraries are doing with this issue.  Any
comments?  Feel free to comment online or offline.

With respect and fondest regards,

Linda Zoeckler
Head, Huntington Art Reference Library
Voice (626) 405-2228