Mr. Ditchburn has certainly opened a Pandora's Box.  The key point is that
Librarianship is a profession being transformed in the digital age.  Library
Programs are also in flux.  His experience has been a negative one.  There
are plenty people who have had positive experiences.

Like Mr. Ditchburn, I have been working towards a MS in Library and
Information Science (Palmer School, Long Island University) after a rigorous
MA in Art History (IFA, NYU).  The Library degree is a totally different
beast.  I also worked for ten years with a professional rank as a Slide
Librarian before deciding to get the MLS.  So, why get another degree when I
was already a "professional?"  The world of libraries and visual resources
have changed with the advent of digital technologies.  The library degree
(at least the program I'm enrolled in) attempts to address some of these
issues.  Every course I have taken (except maybe the management course) have
dealt with digital technologies and their effect on traditional
librarianship.  A requirement for the degree at LIU (and I believe most of
the other Library programs in the NY City area) is an Internship.  I can't
get out of it even though I've been working as a professional for all these
years.  Perhaps Mr. Ditchburn's mistake was his choice of program, not the
profession itself.

I can't speak to dual programs.  My instinct is that one would not get the
as thorough a training in art history at a dual degree program.  This is a
supposition on my part.

Is the MS in Library and Information Science still valid?  Obviously I think
so.  The MS automatically confers professional status.  Coming from the
world of visual resources where professional status is not a given, I think
this is important.

Libraries and librarians are redefining what they do.  Library schools are
making the attempt to do the same.  My husband got his MLS about 15 years
ago from the same program I am attending.  His coursework and experiences
have been totally different from mine. I think it is an exciting time to be
a librarian.

Susan Melick Bresnan
Associate Museum Librarian
The Photograph and Slide Library