At the National Gallery, Vertical Files policy states that most items under 50 pages are not cataloged and placed in the Vertical Files, arranged by Artists, Institutions, and Subjects (LoC). An additional file of art historians, museum professionals, and collectors  was recently created because it is difficult to locate biographical information about them.
 Included in all files are newspaper articles, exhibition announcements and brochures. We also have special files related to the National Gallery's exhibitions, the East Building's conception and construction, copies of the floor plans for both buildings.  All files are integrated with the OPAC for access.

Duplicate items are collected and are later sold to a dealer.

Exhibition announcements, invitations and brochures are retained for images and biographical information.

I am currently interested other libraries' policies for circulation of vertical files materials to the staff.  What are individual libraries' procedures for maintaining  records of this ephemeral material?

Thanks

Roberta Geier
Reference/Vertical Files Librarian
National Gallery of Art