What an amazing group we have!  In the space of about two days, I was able
to collect a great bibliography of the favorite sources used by ARLIS
members to answer provenance or auction-type reference questions.  Thanks
so much to everyone who sent me sources.

And, here's the list:

Davenport's Art Reference and Price Guide
Art Price Index International
Biography and Geneology Master Index
Gordon's Print Price List
Artnet.com
Artist's Bluebook
Grove Dictionary of Art
Getty Provenance site http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/provenance/
AskART.com (American artists--16th to 21st centuries)
E. Benezit "Dictionnaire Critique et Documentaire des Peintres,
Sculpteurs, Dessinateurs et Graveurs..." (which, in its Nouvelle ed.
(1999) includes some fairly recent U.S. and European sale prices)
Mayer database for 1987-1997 which is available
at www.icollector.com (under "Resources", or go to it directly at
www.icollector.com/library/art_price_guide/index.html)

OTHER COMMENTS:

…The art librarians in Baltimore have cooperated to the extent that we know
what the
others hold in their collection. Modern art questions go to the Baltimore
Museum of
Art, older fine art questions go to the Walters Museum, and questions on
collectibles
go to the public library.

…If they seem interested in doing serious
research, I show them Jeffrey Weidman's "Researching Your Art Object" web
document (Artsource / General Resources / Researching....).

Judy

Judy Donovan
Design Arts Librarian
Hagerty Library