This message is being cross-posted to ARLIS-L and VRA-L

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am pleased to announce that the National Gallery of Art's "Manual for Cataloguing and Classifying Slides" is now available online in a downloadable PDF file.  This electronic version serves as the fourth edition of the manual that was previously available only in a limited number of printed copies. Version 4.0 contains new classification sections and many refinements to earlier editions including expanded sections on creating authority and bibliographic records.  A few chapters were mounted on the website earlier in order to have a version for demonstration at the ARLIS/NA conference in Los Angeles in April.

The National Gallery of Art Slide Library uses the MARC format for cataloging works of art and has manipulated the Visual Materials format of MARC to suit the needs of this collection. These changes and the need for clear examples to maintain consistency resulted in the new, interactive electronic publication we present to our colleagues today. The file is rather large so it may be wise for those with slower modems to download it after hours.

In order to view and access the manual, you must use Adobe Acrobat (preferably version 5.0) which can be downloaded for free from

http://www.adobe.com

The on-line catalogue of the NGA Slide Library and the new manual are not accessible through the public website of the National Gallery of Art and may only be accessed with the following URL:

www.nga.gov/library/sl-search.htm

many thanks for your attention and my apologies for any duplication of messages. Should you have any questions or comments, please contact me off-line at [log in to unmask]

Gregory P. J. Most
Chief Slide Librarian
National Gallery of Art
Washington, DC 20565