The Maine College of Art Library is moving to the new Joanne Waxman
Library!

The library will host a public opening on Monday, June 25, from 5 to 7, to
dedicate the new library space to Joanne Waxman.  Joanne Waxman was the
librarian at MECA from 1974 to 1989, and was instrumental in building the
library collection, and achieving accreditation for the library and the
college.   Joanne was a long-time member of ARLIS, we would appreciate
hearing from ARLIS members who remember her, and may want to share their
memories, anecdotes, or impressions of Joanne with us and her family.
Please send any information you would like to share to my email address,
[log in to unmask], or to my attention at the Maine College of Art, 97
Spring St., Portland, ME 04101.

There will be a an opening dedication on Monday, June 25th, from 5pm to
7pm, and we hope to share any impressions or memories of Joanne that we
collect, at the dedication.

All ARLIS members are invited to the opening dedication.  June is a lovely
time of year in Maine, and the college is located downtown, close to the
water front.  The library itself will be located on the second floor of
the historic Porteous Department Building.An architectural  rendering of
the new space can be found at http://library.meca.edu/screens/plan.html.
Great care has been taken to preserve the original tin ceiling of the
building, and to restore the prismatic glass tiles above the Chicago style
windows, on the facade.

Please also checkout the last site installation, in the old Maine College
of Art Library, which utilized the old card catalog drawers, at
http://library.meca.edu/screens/news.html.

We appreciate your help with this dedication, and hope to see you there!

Thank you,

Laura Graveline
Library Director
Joanne Waxman Library
Maine College of Art
522 Congress St.
Portland, ME 04101
http://library.meca.edu

The library will close during the move, from 5/21 through 6/17.