We have a customer here who owns a 15' painting on canvas by Harry M.
Pettit, who appears to have been active 1900 to 1920s or so. Our
customer has done lots of research and discovered that there are several
other large works by Pettit scattered around the city.  Pettit was
apparently commissioned to paint pictures of steel mills and other
industrial sites -- usually grand panoramic idealized highly detailed
vistas.  We've looked in all the standard sources/indexes  to find
biographical information on him, but to no avail.  We have found a
couple of references to him: one a reproduction of one of his works in
"Art & Industry" 1939, and one a reference to him as an "illustrator".

It occured to us that perhaps his "home town" library might know of him
and have information, or that some creative person out there might think
of something we didn't.  (Because he was an "Illustrator" according to
the standards of those days not,perhaps, considered a "fine artist", we
also checked "Readers Guide" and  GaleNet's Biography and Geneology
Master Index.) Thanks in advance!  ~Heather

Heather Brodhead, Librarian
Music & Art Department
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
4400 Forbes Avenue