This summer, for the first time, I will be deeply involved in a distance
education course. A faculty member, with whom I have worked often and well,
is offering a course in feminist approaches to art history (which she has
offered regularly in a conventional classroom setting) as an online-only
course. I will be providing instruction in library (largely licensed
database) research and offering reference assistance by appointment to
students enrolled in this class. Simultaneously, the University of
Massachusetts libraries are embarking on real-time digital reference using
LivePerson, which I expect to use to support students in this source.

Naturally enough, I am now suddenly very interested in distance education
in the arts, but other than the fine articles in ArtDoc in 1999, I have
found little information on other people's experiences with such courses.
SO: if anyone is interested in helping me put together a panel FAST on
distance education and services to remote users in art and design courses
(including, of course, making digitized images available to them), please
let me know quickly, especially if you have already embarked on such
enterprises.

Thanks!

Linda Zieper