Peter,
At our institution I happen to be the person who makes the call.  My
official title is that of Art Coordinator.  As such I report to the Head of
the Reference department, but I am responsible for anything that is
selected to enter in the Art Library.  Yes I have guidelines I follow in
handling what we loosely call "pamphlets"; I have established them myself
and never bothered to write them down.

We take into consideration for cataloging very small or thin (less than 10
pages or thereabouts) exhibition catalogs only if we do not have much
material on the artist or the subject, the reproductions are good, AND
there is a record for them in Worldcat.  All more consistent publications
with reproductions and record are cataloged. We do very little original
cataloging.  When deemed useful, the rest of the material, including flyers
and a few collections of cuttings, is labelled and filed in cabinets in
alphabetical order by last name of artist.
Group exhibition catalogs or subject exhibitions which do not have a record
are routinely offered to other institutions, or given away to the students.
As you can see it is a highly subjective matter...but we do not have much
space and I can usually tell what is going to get used and what is not...
Hope this helps!
                    Anna

At 09:37 AM 4/25/01 EDT, you wrote:
>Colleagues -- If your institution has a written policy, guidelines of
>any kind, for artist files (gallery cards, smaller ex. cats.,
>clippings, etc.) please post to the list. For case by case issues who
>makes the call on inclusion vs. trash? At what point (number of
>pages, etc.) does material go into your artist file vs. receiving
>full cataloging for inclusion in the library collection? Etc. and so
>on, please.
>Thanks,
>Peter Blank
>Peter P. Blank                        Phone: (312) 443-3665
>Head, Reader Services                 FAX: 312.443.0964
>Ryerson & Burnham Libraries           [log in to unmask]
>Art Institute of Chicago
>111 S. Michigan Ave.
>Chicago, IL  60603

Anna Bigazzi