I posted this on the Architecture Section listserv already, but thought I
would repeat it on ARLIS/NA too.

Just a reminder that May 1 (the 2002 conference deadline for proposals) is
looming on the horizon. Get your ideas together.

Dear Architecture Section Members,
Another amazing ARLIS/NA conference has already come and gone. I never
cease to be amazed by the wonderful tours - Schindler, Wright, and Neutra -
how fantastic to see them in person.  They were visionary architects.  The
sessions and presentations were great.  Our Architecture section
co-sponsored the plenary session: Hollywood Design; and sessions
Reconstructing Modernism; and the Accreditation of Art Libraries.  (Please
let me know if I missed any). Finally, of course we had the convocation at
the Getty - all to ourselves, it was fun. The current exhibit at the Getty:
"Shaping the great city: modern architecture in central Europe, 1890-1937"
was most impressive.

Please welcome our new officers:
Katherine (Kitty) Chibnik, vice-moderator
Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University

Sarah McCleskey, Update column editor
Gunin Architecture Library, Clemson University

Daniel Starr - our ARLIS/NA executive board liaison

As the current moderator, one of my goals is to get our Architecture
Section web site up and going.  Some ideas that were proposed at our annual
meeting - for web site content were: current officers, membership list,
past officers, past programs, guidelines, core publications list.  Please
let me know of other items that you would like to see on the web site - it
will be a working document so we can add and subtract items, as we need to.

We began a list of possible program ideas at the meeting. Remember the
deadline for proposals is May 1st.
Program ideas that came up in discussion were:
*Adaptive Reuse of historic buildings in St Louis - i.e. libraries, train
station
*Historic Preservation of American Synagogues - do with space planning
*Focus on the Arch: landscape of the monument, city-planning policies,
architectural history, Saarinen
*Accessibility - ADA issues, web sites, physical access, graphics - do with
VRA, space planners, diversity committee
"Blueprints to bytes - build on new publication by MASS Copar - do with VRA
*Philadelphia Architects and Building Projects - a presentation to
demonstrate the features of this project.
*Trade catalogs / information - print and digital - could do with VRA

Please contact me with panel ideas, a list of participants, including a
budget and equipment needed for the presentation.

Website for the St. Louis, 2002 conference:
<http://library.wustl.edu/~beth/Conference.html>

I hope to hear from lots of you,

Sue Koskinen, Moderator
Architecture Section