Ross:

Thanks for putting this wonderfully creative session together for all of us!
I hope
the session will include a bibliography of books on art and artists written
for
children.  It will be extremely useful!  BTW, have you seen the new children's
book
out on Michelangelo?  GREAT ILLUS!!  Ray Anne

"Day, Ross" wrote:

> Some of the leading lights in children's books will be appearing at a
> session entitled "A Grown-Up's Guide to Children's Books" at the ARLIS/NA
> annual conference, scheduled for Sunday, "April Fool's Day", at 10:00 a.m.
> DON'T FORGET to set your clocks forward when you go to bed Saturday
> night--this is one program you don't want to miss.
>
> MICHAEL CART, children's book historian, essayist, anthologist, and frank
> speech advocate. His young adult novel, "My father's scar" (1996), was an
> ALA best book selection for 1997. Apart from frequent contributions to
> library literature, he has also compiled several compilations and literature
> histories, including "From romance to realism: 50 years of growth in young
> adult literature" (1996); "What's so funny? wit and humor in American
> children's literature" (1995); "Tomorrowland: 10 stories about the future"
> (1999), and the forthcoming young adult collection "Love and sex: ten
> stories of truth" (2001). Michael will show how art (history) has
> continuously inspired picture book illustrators and influenced the evolution
> of THEIR "art", while demonstrating that the picture book is a wonderfully
> individual art form that deserves attention on its own aesthetic merits.
>
> SUSAN PATRON, Children's Librarian at Los Angeles Public Library and herself
> a children's author, will explain how children "read" pictures before they
> can read words.  To discover ways that artists convey meaning and
> emotion--while serving the story--her slide presentation will highlight
> illustrations in several contemporary books whose audience is young children
> and their parents.
>
> ERICA SILVERMAN and DEBORAH NOURSE LATTIMORE. A talented author and gifted
> illustrator, each has each compiled an impressive list of visually exciting
> and stimulating children's book titles, many of which turn on times and
> cultures with which children may be unfamiliar but nonetheless fascinated.
>      Among Erica's writing credits are "Mrs Peachtree and the Eighth Avenue
> cat" and "Mrs. Peachtree's bicycle"; "On the morn of Mayfest"; "Fixing the
> crack of dawn"; and two books inspired by Jewish life and culture, "Gittel's
> Hand" and "Raisel's Riddle".
>     Deborah has illustrated such diverse books as "Zekmet, the stone carver:
> a tale of ancient Egypt"; "Frida Maria: a story of the old Southwest"; "Why
> there is no arguing in heaven: a Mayan myth"; "The fool and the phoenix: a
> tale of old Japan"; and the revealing "I wonder what's under there? A brief
> history of underwear."
> The fruits of their recent collaboration, "Gittel's Hands" (1996), will be
> the launching point for their presentation.
>
> Attendees too embarassed to admit they own their own copies of these books
> may bring them to be inscribed by the authors in whoever's name they choose,
> real or fictitious.
>
> Ross Day & Shannon Van Kirk, co-moderators

Ray Anne Lockard, Head Librarian
Frick Fine Arts Library
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA  15260
Voice:  412-648-2411
Fax:  412-648-7568
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

"A book should be a ball of light in one's hands."
Ezra Pound