You might have him get in touch with Jane Stewart at (717)245-2327. She
specializes in conservation of paper items, has extensive training and
experience, and great credentials. We're both in Carlisle PA, but it's
an easy drive to NYC and I think it would be very much worth having her
look at the items in question.  Hope this is of help.

Karen Anne Glick
Curator, Visual Resources
Dept. of Art and Art History
Dickinson College