> Cathy Donaldson's tale of the stove-scorched book brings to mind one
> escapade from my checkered past:  we published a Max Ernst exhibition
> catalog in 1973 titled "Inside the Sight."  The printing was actually
> done in Germany, and the catalogues were sea-freighted to us in
> five-catalogue parcels wrapped in an oiled paper.  Needless to say,
> over the years the white rear covers of the catalogues that were
> exposed to this oiled paper took on some strange (but I must say
> attractive) color and shape patterns.  So in the early 90's I told our
> Bookstore to market these particular copies as "Special Limited
> Frottage Editions" and to double the retail price.  Hope nobody in
> ARLIS-land inadvertently purchased one...

P.S.  I must say, in my years I've never before heard the Warhol balloon
postulated as a condom.  But judging by the size of the opening in the
examples in Index Book copes I've seen -- well, never mind that; suffice
it to say it's an ordinary balloon.  My, you people have (over?)-active
imaginations; wasn't Andy's "Stick Fingers" album cover for the Rolling
Stones enough for you?  Well, enough information insemination (woops, I
meant DISsemination) for the day...