Preview of Spring Events for ARLIS/NY:

In addition to the ARLIS/NA Regional Meeting on May 13 and 14 in
Philadelphia and Bryn Mawr, hosted by the Delaware Valley, New York and
DC/MD/VA Chapters, ARLIS/NY is organizing two spring events. Save these two
dates: May 3rd and June 9th.

On Thursday, May 3, from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m., the ARLIS/NY Chapter is planning
to visit the Japan Society for a viewing of the exhibition "Frank Lloyd
Wright and the Art of Japan: The Architect's Other Passion."  Some of you
may have read the article, "The Master Builder Whose Other Love Helped Pay
the Bills," in the Arts & Leisure section of last Sunday's New York Times
(3/18/2001). The article discusses the 20-year research of Julia Meech, the
show's guest curator, in documenting Wright's role as a collector and dealer
of Japanese prints. Space will be limited, so the first 40 members to
respond by email or telephone will be admitted.  The exhibition opens at the
Japan Society Gallery on March 28 and remains through July 15.

If you wish to attend on May 3rd, respond to [log in to unmask] or call me
at (718) 636-3714.

"If Japanese prints were to be deducted from my education, I don't know what
direction the whole might have taken."
--Frank Lloyd Wright, An Autobiography (1932)
http://www.jpnsoc.com/gallery.htm: The exhibition focuses on Japanese works
of art that Wright collected during his several sojourns in Japan and
includes woodblock prints, screen paintings, and textiles of the Edo period
(1600-1868). Also featured are Wright's architectural drawings for projects
he was commissioned to build in Japan, as well as designs by Wright
revealing his adaptation of Japanese compositional motifs.

On Saturday, June 9, there will be a trip to Planting Fields Arboretum State
Historic Park, a former Gold Coast estate of over 400 acres near Oyster Bay,
Long Island. We will see some of the estate buildings including Coe Hall, a
65 room former residence which has been restored as a museum, and the
grounds which were landscaped by the Olmsted Brothers. The Arboretum
contains greenhouses, gardens, woodland paths, and outstanding plant
collections.  When plans are finalized, more information will be posted. For
a preview, check out http://www.plantingfields.org.

Joy Kestenbaum
Art & Architecture Librarian/Assistant Professor
Pratt Institute
(718) 636-3714