Hi,
I'm looking for information (policies, people) on
protecting privacy of personal information in
museums. I am on a Privacy Task Force, to develop
a model policy to post on UC Calif Digital Library
web sites, a policy which we can use to start
educating system administrators and online library patrons,
eg, the model policy will help shape daily practice. My
assignment
is to learn the privacy practices/policies in museums, archives,
and vr collections. Right now I'm focusing just on museums.

1. museum libraries. I expect this will be much easier than
the museum as a whole. As a rule, I would expect museum libraries
follow the
ALA Confidentiality of Patron Information guidelines?
Is this correct, or might there be a more specialized set of
guidelines
for museum libraries?  Does your museum library have a policy
about patron confidentiality, or do you consider the users of the

library to be colleagues, so you can tell one curator who has the

book they want? ETc. If you have a policy, please let me know.
If you do not have a policy, pleasel do not weigh in.

2. museum web sites. What information do museums gather
from use of their web sites? Do they use patron information
for membership drives? Are there any policies about privacy
of user information? Do you know whom I should contact?

Privacy on the web is
much discussed and debated these days. Congressman Rick Boucher,
Subcommittee on telecommuncations, trade, and consumer
protection, suggested
privacy legislation on October 11, 2000
http://www.house/gov/boucher/docs/privacystatement.htm

I don't know whether this has moved forward yet.

Thanks for your attention to this matter.

--
Maryly Snow, Librarian
Architecture Slide Library